Thursday 4 October 2012

My Kit (and video!)

Inspired by the lovely Sarah, over at Christie Clan Diaries, I thought I would blog a little about my kit and what I use. 

It was my birthday this week and my Dyan took me out shopping.  He bought me some running leggings, as I really hate feeling flapping clothing when I am running, and Lidl had some for £7.  They are actually really good, so we felt pretty pleased at the bargain!


You can also see my minimalist running shoes, which I blogged about here  
We then went to showroom in York for Rat Race, who stock all things running, swimming and cycling!  Dylan bought me a Ronhill running top, which is BRIGHT!  But should mean cars will see mem when I run on darker evenings!  I discovered my phone can switch the camera lens towards me, so here's a cheesey and BRIGHT picture of my lovely new top!

Pinkness!    
As you can see I also wear a hat, this started out as a disguise, lol.. but as the sun is getting lower, it is proving quite useful!  (I also wear cycling sunglasses, which are pretty well suited for running as they don't move around on your face.  No pictures, but they really aren't all that exciting!)

I use an armband to hold my phone when I run which was an absolute bargain off Amazon... it cost me £1.32, including delivery, and holds my phone (for the podcast and GPS software) and my door key. 

I was also lucky enough to receive a waterproof MP3 player for my birthday, from my parents.  This is going to make a huge difference to me in the pool as I do struggle with the monotony of swimming lengths for 30-40 minutes at a time, and I tried it out this week and it worked fabulously!  I perhaps need to think about my playlist though.  I put Jimi Hendrix on, and found I swam with good glides and stretches... brilliant for enforcing the prinicples of Shaw Method swimming style, but I think I need something a little more up-tempo!  (Though I confess, swimming along with 'Hey Joe' made me smile!)  It really is quite clever, no wires, great sound, AND it stayed in my ears as I pushed off (wearing the white 'wire' around the back of my head and under my swimming hat!).

My Merlin waterproof MP3 player



In case you are wondering, I swim with Aquasphere Kayenne, small fit goggles, with a dark lens.  I spray them with anti fog every week and they are the best goggles I ever tried.  I swim in a Zoggs legsuit and I wear a silicone swimming hat.  And I now swim plugged into my MP3!

I ran with Dylan this week which is the first time I have run with anyone else.  It was a little unnerving as I struggled to concentrate, but he did take a really useful video of me running, which has given me confidence and allowed me to check my foot strike and posture.  He has a slightly longer one I shall post when editing allows....

 

You can see my armband in action, the rathe unexciting glasses and that I also carry a small water bottle (about £3 from Wiggle!)

I have completed week 5, run two of the Couch to 5km plan today.  This involved running for two 8 minute strtches, seperated by a 5 minute walk.  The next session involves a 20 minute run.  I am really not sure I can do this, I guess it will be make or break time.....

I haven't been out on my bike for a few weeks now, but I shall update my blog with cyclingstuff another time :-)

1 comment:

  1. I love nosing at other peoples kit :-) and loving the link to my little blog, tee hee x

    ReplyDelete