Tuesday 1 January 2013

Bye 2012, why, HELLO 2013!

Last year was an amazing year for me in terms of reaching personal fitness goals, improving my overall health and realising I can push myself far further than I previously thought.  As expected, the focus was mostly on swimming (until September...) and I did everything I set out to do and thoroughly enjoyed every moment.  The highlight for me was swimming in Loch Ness, feeling fearless in open water and realising I can overcome the things that frighten me AND enjoy them!

I tend to take a step down from exercise in October as the nights start to draw in and it gets darker and colder.  Most people move inside to gyms, turbos and pools.  I shut down, eat food and get fat :-)

Well not this time, I finally found an activity that keeps me outside whatever the weather and keeps my activity levels UP!

So inspired by the Leeds Triathlon in September, I set out learning how to run, mid September and I have not looked back since.  I never dreamt I would fall in love with running, but it has taken up many, many hours of my life in the last 14 weeks!   I have gone from a complete non-runner to someone who is capable of running around 15km per week and I have my sights set firmly on running my first 10km in the next few weeks. 

It has been a fabulous way to end the year.  As ever I wish I could find whatever it is I need to continue to cycle throughout the winter, or to keep me motivated to keep going to the pool every week.  But this year, I may have ended it by gaining a few festive lbs, but I have never felt fitter or more capable.   I have lots of support around me, from my parents who look after my children when I go for some of my runs and my husband who inspires me with his own incredible levels of commitment to his own goals.  I also have MANY friends, both close to me and over the 'net who regularly run, who help, support and inspire me.  Thank you, you lot. 

I have recently ran a couple of 9km distances and the question everyone keeps asking me is:  When will you enter your first 10km race?

I am still not overly inspired to enter a race.  I like to run alone, to my own pace, with my own thoughts.  I DO know how amazing it can feel to be a part of something bigger (thinking about my swimming events), but I just don't feel that urge with running.  I keep reading about a few crazy/wacky events, such as a Rat Race or Night Terror, which I think sound like fun... but they are pretty expensive and although they would be a good test of what I have learnt so far AND fun, I still like running, just running for sake of running. 

I have decided to take 2013 one month at a time when thinking about what I want to achieve from running, cycling and swimming.  So here's January:

Running:
  • By the end of the month, run a 10km distance.  
  • Throughout the month of January, I want to cover the equivalent of running a marathon (ie 26.2 miles or 42km).  I plan to achieve this by doing long runs on Sundays (8 or 9km until the last Sunday of the month which will be my 10km) and a few shorter runs mid-week. 
Cycling
  • Not really planning to cycle anywhere just yet, but I shall look out for a nice dry, warm day and maybe, just maybe go for a short ride, to remind myself how to!
Swimming
  • Back to once-weekly swims for now, aiming to swim for either 30 minutes, or 1km at a time.  
Dylan and I have some vague plans for entering a couple of events this year, although this is will scaled down a lot from last year.  I do plan to join a triathlon club though which should give me access to a few coached open water sessions, more to follow on this as the weather warms up!

But for now.. bring on that 10km!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment