Sunday 10 February 2013

Flying High

High on endorphins, happy post-run blog-spout!

In the last few weeks I have settled into running 2-3 times per week usually between 3 and 5 miles at a time.  Yes *miles*, not kilometres!  I decided to join the majority of my running friends and measure in imperial units to avoid confusion amongst friends (mostly mine!) so I made the switch at the beginning of February.  So far my easily-confused-by-numbers-brain, has processed the following:
  • 6km is approximately 3.5 miles.  This is my minimum distance I aim for and also my *easy* distance when I want to run but lack energy.  It is also a good distance for running with friends - allows an easy pace with plenty of breath for chatting!  3.5 is the new 6!
  • 10km is approximately 6.5 miles.  This is my hard, legs hurty distance.  Only attempted three times.  Ever.  (Including today :-D )
  • My new average 'lap' time is 10-11 minutes.  That is to say, I run 1 mile in an average time of 10-11 minutes.  (This was previously 6-7 minutes per km). 
I am getting used to the longer measured distance and after nearly two weeks of running in imperial, I have stopped thinking about kms so much!

I downloaded a Ministry of Sound album to give me some continuous music to listen to.  It is one aimed at workouts and is DJ-mixed, so I no longer need to think about playlists before I run.  Undoubtedly I would get more of the music I want to listen to if I composed a playlist, but I never seem to think about it when I am not running or get round to playing with it and my previous running playlist, which contained some of my favourite endorphin-releasing songs, got listened to to-death which spoils the effect somewhat. 

The album I bought has music mixed from the last decade and has some corkers, which really made me pick up the pace and *grin* at anyone and anything that I passed.  (This was mostly horses, sheep and birds!)  Notable memories this morning were Darude's Sandstorm and Public Domain's Bass to the Place, both oldies but just brilliant to run to.  My brain was pinging all over the place and I really couldn't stop smiling.  I wanted to do a Happy Dance as I ran (Happy Dance is what I call that 360° twirl you sometimes see people/runners do as they run, often accompanied by raising hands in the air!!)  I fight the urge to do a Happy Dance on a regular basis when I run.  Sometimes I don't fight the urge and I just do it, especially if only the sheep are watching!  I must get Dylan to record my Happy Dance as it really is something that ought to be shared!

It occurred to me that some of the older style dance music I have listened to on occasion might also be great to run to, so I bought an album I used to love which I already know will be perfect for running:  As Heard on Radio Soulwax Vol2 by 2 Many DJs.  More on this at a later date!

My biggest daughter seems to have caught the running bug too!  She has been running with school for a while on the cross country team.  Unfortunately school seem to cancel their training sessions (and the meets are also regularly cancelled) at the slightest bit of bad weather, which when you consider that cross country is usually done in Autumn/Winter, is a bit rubbish really.   So for the last few weekends, Dylan has been taking her out running with him.  She managed 2 and half miles today and I plan to take her to parkrun which is a free 5km event held at parks across the UK, every weekend.  There is now a parkrun event (the small 'p' is intentional, I have it on good authority this is how they market their brand name - though it does irritate me!) at Temple Newsam park which is fairly close to us.  Saturdays are NOT a good time for us (work commitments, swimming lessons.....) but we hope to get to a couple over the Spring and I have set us a goal to go do parkrun together on 23rd March, which gives her a good few weeks to get up to the distance of 5km.  (Arrgh at the kms again!  I figured when she can run 3 miles without stopping she will be capable of a 5km parkrun!)   I am hoping a few of my local friends will join me, possibly with their families....

I have also been out on my bike this week.  It was cold.  I want to enjoy cycling again - I am ready to dust off my bike and get pedalling again.  But it was too soon.  Ten miles cycled and I put it back into the garage for another few weeks! 

I have also been indulging in the barefoot/minimalist shoe market following a LOT of good deals being about at the moment.  I do believe this will call for a new post with photos and stuff.....

So for now, another weekend, another month and still flying on the post-run high.  It's a constant flight and I am loving it, wholly and totally completely.  :-)




1 comment: