Sunday 10 October 2010

Cycling AND swimming!

I did both today! I went out this morning on my bike and cycled to the local pool and back, 13 miles in total, to see if it is feasible for me to cycle to the pool for my swim.

It was a difficult ride; Kippax is a very hilly village, I was reminded of the pain in my legs after cycling in the Lake District, but with none of the attractive scenery. It took me 20 minutes to cycle there, but 35 minutes to cycle back (downhill there, uphill back!), so in terms of the amount of time it took, it is still better for me to drive at the moment (because I am often exercising in the evening, when Family Stuff Needs Doing too).

In the pool this evening, I swam my usual 30 lengths and vaguely thought about stretching myself to 36 lengths. But remembering the punishment my legs had had this morning, I decided against.

I did however attempt to swim front crawl, just for half a length. Physically, I felt fine. Bit of water pressure in my sinus's which I had forgotten happens when you swim a sprint stroke. Had the pool been empty of non-lane-swimming youngsters, I might have tried a full length, but it wasn't. But it's a start. The difference between breaststroke and front crawl (once you can competently swim breaststroke), is like the difference between walking and jogging. It is a huge step, especially if you are considering swimming crawl over a longer number of lengths.

All in all a great day for achieving fitness goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment