Saturday 2 October 2010

The Start

In 2010, I unknowingly started a journey to Get Fit and stop worrying about calories and weight. I DO still worry about them, but they take second place. I worry more about how far I can go, for how long and if I have taken on enough calories to get there.

In April 2010 I replaced my Halford's £70 mountain bike (MTB) with a new shiny Specialized women's MTB (cost £400). I enjoyed cycling between 8-10 miles every few days.

In May, I entered a bike event to cycle 30 miles in the Lake District, through my employer, while raising money for the charity Make A Wish.

The event took place in September and during the summer, I raised my fitness, cycling 15 miles 3-4 times every week and cycling 25 miles every couple of weeks.

The event took place in the pouring rain and was hilly to say the least (on a level of 1-4, the organisers rated it a 4 for difficulty). I completed it, nonetheless, with the help of my superfit triathlete husband and it felt good.

Over the course of the summer, my bike/cycling evolved. My husband put semi-slicks on it, and I started to look like a cyclist (smart helmet, cycling jerseys, padded cycling shorts, cycling gloves, an on-bike computer....) and started to Be Interested in cycling in general.

I also went as a spectator to my first Triathlon (which my hubby took part in as a first time competitor) and this furthered my enthusiasm for ANY kind of amateur sport.

It is now October. I am feeling a little lost as my goal has passed and met. I am not sure I am keen to continue cycling in winter. In the dark, wet, cold. I have just received some expensive cycling gear as a birthday present to keep me more comfortable in the cold/wet.. but I am not sure i will continue to train to the same extent.

I needed another goal. Something new to keep me focused throughout the long dark months.

Swimming. I was good at it once.

The Great North Swim. 1 mile in open water. Events take place at Windermere and Salford Quays (as well as 4 other Uk locations.)

I have so far inspired a few of my friends to do it too, and my hubby will be taking part as it will aid him with his tri training.

So tomorrow, I go to the pool. I haven't swam without a child attached for 6 years. Bit nervous I will be rubbish. But all this cycling has to have done something for my fitness.

The Great Swim takes part in August/September 2011 (location dependent). This is my blog about my training to get there and swim 1 mile in open water. (I have never swam in open water, or in a wetsuit). I have approximately 12 months. I don't just want to compete, I want to finish it, respectably.

Oh and as the year turns to Spring again, I want to cycle at least 50 miles per week and enter at least one 30 mile event. Maybe a 60 miler.

This is how I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment