Sunday 3 October 2010

First Swim

It is Sunday 3rd October and I just went swimming for the first time in years. (Excluding many pool sessions with a variety of my children, where very little swimming can take place!)

Feeling quite exhilarated and definitely up for the challenge of entering the Great Swim Series next year.

Pool: Wetherby
Lengths: 30 (approx.... need to figure out a way of reliably keeping count!)
Stroke: Breaststroke
Time: 30 minutes (approx)
Notes: Paused at end of each 25 metre length to catch breath. Had cramp in hands/fingers after about 20 lengths and twinges in tendons at back of knees. Felt good in the water, but not confident enough to do front crawl. Legs felt VERY heavy when I got out of the pool!

I also need to buy some goggles and a new swimsuit as mine isn't really suitable for longer swims and was a bit uncomfortable. Am also considering a device which you wear on your wrist which counts your laps for you, eg: Pool Mate. Expensive but could share ownership with my husband who trains at different times to me.

I think the distance is achievable for me, 1 mile is approximately 64 laps of the pool and I have done half the distance today. I aim to train up to 100 laps, as you tend to swim further when you swim in open water because it is very easy to deviate off course, and there are often currents to contend with.

I was also bought some new cycling clothes for the winter yesterday, so I am thinking about going out for a ride later. But is is rather wet and windy out there.....

No comments:

Post a Comment